Water Tower and Pump House


Year of construction: 1917-1918
In operation: 1918 until end of operation in 2013

The building was constructed in 1917 and 1918. The monumental size of the water basin on 21 tall concrete supports is unmissable. The water served as reserves in emergencies, in the event of a pump failure or faulty pipes. The water reservoir is one of the first major technical structures to be made entirely of reinforced concrete.

It is currently being converted into the entrance to the World Heritage Site Völklingen Ironworks.

Water Tower and Pump House

Wasserhochbehälter mit Pumpenhaus
Water tower with pumping station
Wasserhochbehälter mit Pumpenhaus um 1930
Water tower with pumping station around 1930
Visualisierung Wassserturm McCauley
Design of the new entrance © Duncan McCauley
pumpenhaus 01
View into the pumping station
Blick ins Pumpenhaus
View into the pumping station with the historic window front.